View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Can't agree with you on that one, IrishMafia. ASA prohibits a fake tag, but to me a fake throw or a fake covering of the bag is quite different. The runner should keep his eyes open.

Remember the reason for the fake tag rule. A fake tag can cause instant confusion in a runner whose judgment told him he wouldn't have to slide. R1 rounds 2B and heads to 3B on a hit to right. His judgment, his instinct, told him there would be no play at 3B, so he's running as if he won't have to slide. At the last instant, F5 does the fake tag act and causes R1 to make an unexpected change at the last instant, risking injury. The fake covering of the bag and the fake throw don't have the same dangerous effect on the runner.

How about the play at 3B where F5 stands still behind the bag with arms folded as if there's no throw coming and at the last instant catches the ball and makes the tag? I guess that's the fake non-tag. Don't remind Fed of that play—they'll ban that, too.

I admit that softball these days has to have some rules that protect players who do not have natural baseball instincts.

Speaking ASA

There is no such thing as a fake tag rule. The rule is obstruction and the event which I described meets the requirements of the rule. What you offered is apples compared to the oranges of the scenario I offered.

And if you think a runner who slides because he sees a fielder stepping toward him emulating a throw isn't dangerous, maybe you should give it a try sometime. These are professional players and every slide, even by experienced players is potentionally dangerous.

Like I said, the fact alone that F6 crossed the runner's path and caused the runner to slow down is enough for obstruction. BTW, nowhere in the rule book does it state that a "fake tag" must emulate what we know as a tag.

If you don't want to call it, that's fine, but I would be very wary of litigation should someone get injured on a similar play.