Thread: as a crew...
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 09, 2010, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

as a crew...

Ok, had this pop up last night during a summer league game. How would you handle this as a crew?...

3-person. I'm L tableside (in front of A's bench). A1 has inside position for a rebound during a shot and B1 is behind him. Ball bounces high, and it's one of those real quick bang-bang out of bounds plays with both guys reaching up high to try and swipe the ball. I see the ball go off of A1's hands out of bounds, give ball to B. Team A and A's coach all have kittens in response to the call (team A coach then proceeds to question EVERY call I make for the next 5 minutes, which I know, my fault, I should haveput an end to THAT eaerly and not let it go on for several minutes).

At halftime, my partner, who was C on the particular out of bounds play says that the only reason the ball went off of A1 was b/c he was being pushed in the back by B1. I couldn't see this contact b/c I was L on the play and was looking up top at hands trying to tip the ball and apparently got straightlined.

Partner says he at T both had a push in the back on B1 but both laid off of it. They said they would have changed the call if I had asked for help on the OBB play.

Thing was, I SAW the ball go off of A (which they agree with). But if I don't have the angle to see the contact, how can I ask for help when I'm sure it went off of A? How do you handle this as a crew? I wanted to say "well, if you both saw the contact, then call it!", but felt I would come across as some pompus, in-experienced hot shot, questioning seasoned veterans (a no no on our board when working with certain vets). Could I have mentioned that a different way? How would you handle this as a crew? Maybe I should have taken a step or two during the rebound action to get a better angle? Looking for some honest help with this particular situation. Thanks!