View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
Our association chair called me last night, asking my opinion of this play. We are in sectional play, NFHS Rules. She is the "1" for the crew working this sectional, but is not umpiring this game.

Tie game, bottom of 7th inning. R1 on 3B, one out. VC comes out to the circle. V team is going to intentionally walk the batter. On the first pitch, F3 is standing in foul territory when the pitch is delivered. Apparently she does not move as the pitch is being delivered, but rather is positioned there. IP is called by PU, game is over.

There were other circumstances that preceded this play, but since I don't know for sure if they played a part I am leaving those circumstances out for now.

I am attempting to include a poll with this thread...hopefully I can figure out how to do that.
Wow, did this really happen in your area? Reason I ask is because this also happened at a regional playoff game here in Virginia last year.

Fredericksburg.com - HIGH SCHOOL SOFTBALL

Of course, in our state scenario (I was not there, but this was a highly talked about play throughout our state), the defensive coach asked one of the three umpires if she could position F4 in foul territory, behind the left-handed batters box. Umpires response was yes, then he conferred with his two partners, came back to his position, and repeated yes to DC. PU then signaled for pitch, and as soon as pitch was thrown, called IP. Runner at 3B came home for the winning run (score was tied, bottom of seventh).

Serg