View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

And while they are at it, let's fix the 1985 World Series too.

And a bunch of others. Before the replay, suspect calls were not verified as missed until the film was developed. For example, in the first inning of the fourth game of the 1960 World Series, Yogi Berra beat a play at 1B but was called out for the third out, which cost the Yankees a run. They lost the game 3-2. When the photographs revealed the blown call the next day, the general attitude of fans and even the Yankees was simply, "It's part of the game."

I don't believe there's a photograph to prove it one way or another, but I suspect that a call (on Joe Pepitone at 1B) in the ninth inning of the fifth game in 1964 cost the Yankees the game (and thus the series).

I can't remember which series it was—probably early 1950s—but a runner beats a force play at 3B by what looks like almost a full second, while the narrator says, ". . . and he's . . . out on a close play at 3B!" Meanwhile, you see the 3B coach blow a gasket and set a high jump record.

In 1969, I came in to relieve in the bottom of the 10th of the NBC state championship game. Runners were on 1B and 2B with none out. Their pitcher tried three times to bunt the runners over but struck out. The next guy hit a ball back to me on one hop. I threw to 3B for the second out, and the throw to 1B got the runner by three steps. Had the BU made no call at all, the teams would have changed sides without pausing. However, he called, "Safe!" and everybody on the field froze. There wasn't a lot of screaming, because we were all just plain stunned and wanted to know why "safe." The BU said he couldn't see the play because the sun was in his eyes. (I cannot explain why the PU didn't get involved at that point. I just don't remember.)

Yes, the next guy got a hit and sent us home. Oddly, through the years we have all remembered that call humorously rather than angrily.