View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 04, 2010, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
When VC came out, you granted time. For a next pitch to happen, you have to make the ball live.

As I understand our mechanics, you may not (are not permitted to) make the ball live unless 1) batter in the batters box, 2) catcher in the catchers box, 3) pitcher on the pitchers plate, 4) umpire ready and 5) all other 8 defensive players in fair territory.

So, you can't make the ball live, so the illegal pitch cannot happen that way. After a legal pitch, and with the ball live, it could happen; but not that way.
Steve, that is exactly the point that I made while I was on the phone with her.

I was kind of wishy-washy on this, minus the suspension of play, and how I would handle it since I understand what I perceive as those who cite preventative umpiring to not allow the pitch and those who cite the coaching aspect of allowing the infraction to occur. However, I think I have been persuaded to join those who say to allow the infraction if we are in a live ball situation.

In this particular case though, since time was suspended, I would not have put the ball back in play until all the defensive players except the catcher were in fair territory.

I did find it very interesting that the poll was split almost down the middle with the answers. Did any of those who voted to allow the pitch to happen perhaps overlook that this was coming out of a suspension of play, and if so, would that change your vote?