View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 03, 2010, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRc View Post
Ya I get that its illegal and now seems that it has been called alot. I was just asking if it might have been ignored. irish you call every rule every time regardless?
At this level, yep. That is why the teams are paying me to be there. If there are rules which are to be taken lightly or not place an emphasis upon, the UIC will instruct me accordingly.

That has been the problem that has lead to the issue here. Over the years, umpires have ignored certain "unpopular" rules, which made some coaches happy and others not.

The lines you see (or saw at the beginning of the game) extending from the end of the PP are a direct result of umpires not calling the IP for being out of the 24" lane. It is a difficult rule enforce, but so many pitchers abused the lax enforcement, the coaches got ticked off and changed the rule book to add these lines as a "reminder" to the pitcher and maybe aid the umpire in enforcement.