View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 02, 2010, 02:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
(Simplified for a non-umpire, with minor details removed) : Below NCAA, a fielder who is in the act of fielding a batted ball has right of way and must be avoided by runners. Other than that, NO fielder can be in a runner's basepath without the ball. Period. If such a fielder causes the runner to deviate or slow from the path THEY want to take, it's obstruction. And note that I didn't say baseLINE - I said path ... meaning the path the runner chooses to take.

And yes ... this means that every time F3 is standing on the bag (even just the inside corner) on a play where the batter rounds (or tries to round) first base, it's obstruction. Every time F5 is standing on 3rd as a runner from 2nd rounds for home (even if she doesn't GO home), it's obstruction.

This should be given to every H.S. and youth fastpitch softball coach as well to every parent of a player at these levels. I have H.S. coaches ask me where their players are supposed to stand, and I tell the coaches that I can tell them (coaches) where they (players) cannot stand but they (coaches) have to teach their players where to stand.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio