View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 12, 2003, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Liability

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
I don't think an injury to a cheerleader is any different than an injury to a spectator in the stands. The home school has a responsibility to either care for any injury or call someone who can care for the patient (EMS). One could say that the officials have an ethical duty to help, if needed, even if that help is only instructing the home team management to call 911. Certainly as an official you should not get directly involved in the medical care of the patient unless you have some knowledge or training in that area (such as also being an EMT or Paramedic).

By the way, I am a physician specializing in Emergency Medicine and suggestions should NOT be construed as medical advice...this is the legal disclaimer :-)
I am not talking about getting directly involved. I would never get directly involved, mainly because I do not have the training or background where I would be any help. That goes for most officials I know too. What I am wondering, what is our role as the officials on the game. Do we have to observe or make sure that the needs of this cheerleader that is on the floor is taken care of properly? What if someone is trying to help her that is not a medical technician and does something wrong? Can we be held liable, or should we be held liable for the actions of people that are not qualifed or even with the qualified personnel?

This girl was instucted not to move for about 15 minutes until the EMTs game. By happenstance, there was a doctor present at the game. As officials are we to make sure they do not move here until the ambulance comes? If they move her improperly and she had injury or assumed injury, could we be held liable as well as the folks that know what they are doing?

Peace