Thread: Leg Tap
View Single Post
Old Mon May 31, 2010, 08:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Has anyone ever seen anyone call a "T" on a defender for putting a hand in a shooter's face in an NCAA D1 game? Ever? In a high school varsity game? In any game?

Has anyone ever heard of that particular call having been made in an NCAA D1 game? State final? Whatever?

I haven't.

Would you make that call in a college camp this summer?
Have you ever seen a T called for this anywhere on the court in anything above a high school JV game?
This whole discussion is hypothetical. The only time I've ever even seen a defender do it to a player without the ball was in a 6th grade girls YMCA game.

JR, the rule says nothing about a shooter, but if you say the POE exempts the shooter from the protection this rule provides, so be it. I'm trying to make sure I understand this correctly, because it seems as if you're saying the POE adds a caveat to the rule.

Situations:
1. A1 with the ball at the top of the key, has used his dribble and is now holding the ball looking to pass. B1 reaches up and puts his hands over A1's eyes, the obvious purpose of the move is to obstruct the vision of A1 rather than actually play defense.

2. Same situation as #1, but A1 decides to shoot just as B1's hands get near his A1's eyes. Again, B1 isn't even attempting to play defense, he's just obstructing A1's vision.

Are you saying that the POE tells us that #2 is not a T because A1 is shooting? I think it says the defense can challenge the shooter just as always, but cannot stick their hand in the shooter's face for the sole purpose of obstructing his vision.

Granted, the bar on this is so high that it should probably never get called.