View Single Post
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Valid pitching appearance?

Hi. My son is in a Bantam house league and I volunteered to coach this year as they are always short. I have no playing experience but I do have a basic understanding of the game though clearly not all of the rules yet.

Last night during my first game, I was adjusting my line up due to a no show and an injury. During the bottom of the 5th inning as my players were taking the field, my 6th inning pitcher ran out and picked up the ball on the mound. I immediately called him back and sent the 5th inning pitcher out. The 2nd umpire then came over and told me that the 6th inning pitcher was no longer eligible to pitch because he had touched the game ball on the mound. Apparently this was considered an 'appearance' and by recalling him, I had technically 'yanked' him from the game.

I guess my only question is: "Does it really count as an appearance even if he did not throw a warm up pitch?".

Personally I thought this ruling was a little harsh for a house league game but rules are rules like some of the obscure ones in golf. I guess I wanted a 'mulligan' and didn't get it.

Thanks!