View Single Post
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Where is this topic going? Of course anyone can choose to act like a spoiled child and throw a tantrum whenever they want, but once you reach about age 3, it's no longer acceptable. Please don't insult anyone's intelligence with this "concern" over safety/injury nonsense.

The game is 48, or 60, minutes long. If you start the game, you finish the game, hopefully without pouting because you were outplayed, or even just outscored. There is a sense of integrity associated with the game itself, and those who choose to participate in the game OWE the game respect.

According to NF: 10-1-9-5 it is exclusively "in the opinion of the Referee" as to what constitutes making a "travesty of the game".
You consider the scenario I proposed being akin to a tantrum or travesty of the game??! Do you understand what "playing" means?

Fortunately baseball ends when the W-L outcome of the game is decided, rather than making a team in the lead bat in the bottom of the last inning. In basketball they don't make the other players stand on the court when free throws are awarded with no time in a period. In football, I see no reason -- unless the rules require it, which is what my question was about -- for 11 persons who were formerly playing a game to go stand in a certain area when it will have no bearing on the result. Only team A's kicker, in the scenario I brought up, can have a bearing on the result, unless somebody does something really stupid that nobody should encourage, like committing USC or fruitlessly engaging in body contact.

It seems to me just the opposite, that making them go out there would be the travesty.