View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2000, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Ranger thanks for your candid response but the important issue here is: I do not send messages at the "drop of a dime" and I only do it when dealing with men.

I learned this technique from many a veteran umpire. As I said numerous times during this dialogue - NEVER use on "Hot Heads" or in dealing with youth ball but with men I say ok.

Since you said you are also a coach let me ask you something assuming the following sitch?

Your number 1 hitter (batting 385 with plenty of power), starts giving the PU the business on a particular pitch. This hitter will not let up.
What would rather have the PU do?

Ring him up (remember only the 2nd inning now), on a pitch clearly outside to SEND A MESSAGE or eject him leaving you in a deep hole for the rest of the game?

From MY OWN EXPERIENCE, I can tell you that coaches prefer the ump to send a message and keep their star player in the game as opposed to simply ejecting him.

This isn't the NBA or Football where we can actual penalyze a team. Again, it's a matter of style and I'm not saying yours is better than mine or vice a versa.

All I can say is that I use this technique on limited occasions when dealing with men's leagues. It has worked so far and I continue to get requests from the coaches to umpire their playoff games.

Pete Booth