View Single Post
Old Tue May 25, 2010, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sick To My Stomach

Synopsis:

Last Friday night I had the final of a district (Missouri plays districts (6-8 teams), then they move onto sectionals, quarterfinals, state (4 teams)). We had two games that night. The first game was a game being resumed from Wednesday night in the bottom of 2nd, the winner plays again at 9 that night for the district championship. Championship game starts at 9, I'm on 3rd in the 3-man system. Fog is starting to cover the outfield so bad that you can really only see the silhouette of the outfielders at some point. Game management wanted to keep playing because the next round is Monday and we couldn't continue on Saturday because it will mess up the pitching rotation.

Top of 7th, Home team is up 4-2, 2 outs, no runners on. Fly ball headed towards center field, center fielder runs with his back towards me, straight to the fence, I can see the ball above the fog but when it gets in it I lose it. I go off the center fielders reaction, he stops running and in one fluid motion bends over a little bit, turns around and fires the ball back in to second as fast as he can. Going off his reaction I say no catch, runner at second. I get back to third base and nothing is being said until the coach comes out and says "Corey that's a catch, he should be out." In short I tell the coach I did not see the ball being caught and going by his reaction I don't think he caught it and that's all I had to off of because the outfielder didn't show me the ball if he did catch it. He then states "Did you see the ball hit the ground?" I said "No, did you see him catch the ball?" And I tell him that is exactly why I had to go off his reaction and that reaction told me no catch. The visiting team after that play scored 5 runs with 2 outs to go up 7-4. The next play was a fly ball that they of coursed missed for the third out. At this point I'm starting to get that feeling that I've messed it up and am feeling "sick to my stomach" If this kid caught the ball, it was the greatest catch I've ever seen with the fog, the willy mays style, and also in that type of game. No cheering reaction from him, any teammates, coaches, or fans.
My fiance was at the game sitting on the home team side and said all the fans didn't know if he caught it either and still had no idea.

Bottom of 7th before the inning starts the coach wants to talk some more and we exchange words again and he goes I just hope that play doesn't cost these kids a district championship, my smart mouth gets the best of me at this point and we go back and forth for a few more words and its done. Home team ties it up we go into the 8th. Home team has 4 errors in one inning and they loes by 3.

Fast forward to Monday where I have the winning team again in the sectional round of state. I talk to the coach who was in that district game and told him I still don't know if that kid caught that ball and he says they had their district meeting today for all district team and that kid finally admitted that he didn't catch it. However, Friday he was really adamant that he caught the ball and whined about it the rest of the night and kept telling everyone he did catch it.

So I talk to my assigner on Saturday morning about the play and he said I handled it right and then he was working with me on Monday and I told him that the kid confessed. He said there should be something I should be able to say to the coach in an email or a phone call about the play and how I felt sick to my stomach for the weekend and then it all comes down to a kid lying about the catch. So my question is, should I email or call the coach and talk about that play, or just leave it be?