View Single Post
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I see your point. Honestly though, I think most umpires would be rather upset if their partner inserted themselves into a situation where they were dealing with a coach. Partner's duty is not to tag-team the coach in this situation... really his only responsibility would be to keep OTHER coaches away should you get approached by more than just the coach you're addressing. Assuming we're not talking about a complete rookie here... and I KNOW you're not ... I think your partner would have been WAY out of place nosing into this situation.

(In fact, I'd go one step further and say that the 2 worst ejections I've ever witnessed both involved a coach "interacting" with one umpire and the OTHER umpire ejecting him.)
Understood. We agree on a lot. I agree, if I hadn't already enforced some sort of penalty on the coach and we were just debating, I would have been upset had my partner stepped in.

It's actually been a point of emphasis in this area that once one official (this goes in all sports beyond baseball) initiates a restriction/penalty on a coach such as restrction, technical foul, etc. that the other officials then begin to work with the coach to assess the penalty and to make sure he complies. For example, when one official gives a technical foul he should move away from the coach while another official is entrusted to make sure the coach complies with the seat belt rule. This was mentioned to us as a way to insure that one official can't be seen as the only one that had a problem with the coach. Crew unity, I suppose.