View Single Post
Old Mon May 24, 2010, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthGARef View Post
All worthy constructive criticism. I completely agree that I should have dumped him when he said he wasn't going anywhere. I'm human, I make mistakes. But I don't think hoping my partner would have helped me is out of line. Just because I made a mistake means my partner has to be of little/no help? Isn't part of being a partner being there to back you up when you make a mistake?
I see your point. Honestly though, I think most umpires would be rather upset if their partner inserted themselves into a situation where they were dealing with a coach. Partner's duty is not to tag-team the coach in this situation... really his only responsibility would be to keep OTHER coaches away should you get approached by more than just the coach you're addressing. Assuming we're not talking about a complete rookie here... and I KNOW you're not ... I think your partner would have been WAY out of place nosing into this situation.

(In fact, I'd go one step further and say that the 2 worst ejections I've ever witnessed both involved a coach "interacting" with one umpire and the OTHER umpire ejecting him.)

West Houston Mike