View Single Post
Old Thu May 20, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Catch question- Bizzaro world play

Probably will never happen but wanted to ask about it.

Runner(s) somewhere. Ball hit to F7/8/9 to where the runners would tag and attempt advance. Outfielder thinking that the offensive team might not know the rules and to trick them, tries to "bobble" the ball all the way into the infield to hold the runner. All the way in, he truly controls the ball, never struggles to keep it in flight, just tapping in on the outside of his glove. As he gets to the infield, to throw to a teammate he drops the ball as he goes to grab it with his throwing hand.

Catch or no catch?

This is the NCAA definition of a catch, OBR and FED fairly similar, with the general premise the same.

Catch
SECTION 15. The act of a fielder in getting secure possession in the hand or
glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it, providing the fielder does not use
the cap, protector, pocket or any other part of the uniform in getting possession.
In establishing the validity of the catch, the fielder shall demonstrate complete
control of the ball and that the release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.

Just a question for discussion. I have some thoughts regarding it because, in my judgement, the fielder would satisfy some of the definintion regarding the validity but no firm and secure possession.

I dunno, just a topic for discussion.