View Single Post
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 11:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Couldn't disagree more. You need to know what is going down in your game as far as what was said IF the calling official feels its important to let you know -- for example, if you are the R. You can always pregame and say, "hey, we aren't getting into a big discussion here -- just the brief highlights of what we need to know and let's move on." This is an area where we trust our partners to tell us what we need to know or ignore what we don't.
We will just have to disagree then. Because I have never said anything like that in a pre-game and personally do not care of the highlights during the game. Now it is very possible I know the reason, but if it were certain words, I do not need to know the specific words. I do not really care at that time. I might ask in the locker room or during a timeout, but not when we are trying to put the ball in play after we know what is going on. All I want to know is the type of T it is, so I know all the ramifications (e.g. book T compared to administrative T). I do not need to know why what a coach or player said to get popped at that moment.

Quote:
Can you give me an example of a call I make against a coach (T) that you don't need to know the particulars of?
Coach questions the integrity of me or my partners. The details are not important to me. Better yet, the coach is ranting and raving and jumping up and down does not need me to tell me why. In many cases it is obvious. In many cases if it is heard all over the court that I already know. But if for some reason the words are private and said under their breathe, I probably saw the issue coming. I do not need to at that point critique the T or the details. Maybe you do, just not my concern at that point.

Quote:
Again, part of what I'm trying to do is to slow things down. When you are dealing with more than one foul on a play, especially with guys that worked a college game last night, it may take a few seconds to clarify how to proceed. Don't be afraid to take the time and the attitude of "I don't really need to know all that" makes me think you're more concerned about getting things done in a timely fashion than slowing the pace down to get everything right. My point is that this is a very dangerous way of thinking. I've seen and been in games that got royally screwed up because guys got in a big hurry. If my explanation slows all that down, it was indeed worth it.
OK, I do the same thing but without the explanation. I just want to calm the calling official down (or me) and make sure we put the ball in the right places and have all the right people shooting. I do not need "why" to be voiced. And actually this is not something I need to know as people are around. Anything said at that time can be overheard and this can come back to hurt us. I just want to know the rulebook details and move on.

Quote:
Guys, I've done this sort of thing about 7-9 times over the last 3 years or so in hoops and probably a lot more in football (after a flag). In none of these situations did the game "stall." The risk of rushing and doing or saying something you will regret later far outweighs taking another 30-45 seconds.
OK. I work basketball games with the same guys for most of my games for the last 3 seasons. We have had Ts a few times in our games (not as high as your number) and not once did we discuss the issue on the floor. In one case I had no idea why my partner gave a T and I was standing closer to the coach. But he did something in a gesture and got popped. The coach wanted an explanation from me and I was not giving him one. I even told him "Coach I have no idea what you did, and right now it is not relevant." Oh I forgot to say that one of the cases the coach was ejected from the game for his second T. I did not need an explanation. I trust that officials with my career and he did what he felt was right. We talked about it after the game, not during and we were fine.

Peace