View Single Post
Old Wed May 19, 2010, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

I beg to differ. Not your call. His comment to you was completely out of line, but if the manual says it's one umpire's call, it's their call. A "call" is a decision. The book doesn't mean it's his responsibility to speak - it's his CALL, his decision.

I grant that not being there, it's hard to know what really happened - but if PU didn't call it, I'm sure he had a reason - did you ask the reason? You mention that the ball hit the ground - did someone drop it? If not, was it really "catchable with ordinary effort"? Perhaps you saw where the ball was going and thought IFF - but he SAW the F4 and/or F6 had no play and F1 didn't know where the ball was.

I guess where I'm going with that is that YES, you are partners. You both know the rules. You both know it's his responsibility for making the call, so as his partner I would have assumed he had a SPECIFIC reason for not making the call. If defensive coach comes out yelling, I'm simply saying it's PU's call regardless of my right hand - and let him yell it out with PU, where PU can give his reasoning for not making the call.

His comment that he was in charge was WRONG... but your assumption of his responsibilities (remember, IFF IS a judgement call) and dismissal of his judgement was just as "unpartnerlike".

West Houston Mike