Thread: Foul Shot
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ridgewiz...

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Look at your casebook example again. It says the defense is in the proper lane spaces but the shooting team is huddling, thus delaying the administering of the FT's. This is a different scenario then what was described. Under this scenario I might agree, warning and T the second time if it is pretty obvious to me what they are delaying on purpose. It's not a delay for the defense not to be there, it is a violation the way I interpret it.
NCAA:

You are correct if the offense is huddling it is a delay warning similar to the defense reaching over the endline on a throw in. (CB8.1.1) First offense warning recorded and coach notified. 2nd and subsequent administrative technical foul adds to team total nothing assesed to coach.

As far as the defense not being in the assigned lane spaces this is a requirement to a "valid" free throw Rule 8-1-3a.
CB 10.1.5 outlines the procedure for when B fails to occupy required lane spaces. The free throw is adminisstered w/ defensive violation. A1 misses and substitute throw is givin if B is not occupying spaces for substitute throw, it is a technical foul for delay. It is very similar to the offensive delay where they are givin a warning first. This warning being the violation. I suppose if A hits both free throws on the first attempt the ball is then placed at B's disposal and a five second violation could be whistled.
At this point it could be reasonably assumed that B is attempting to make a travesty of the game (probably realized before this) and the referee has authorization to forfeit play (5.4.1)

PS rule 10.1.5 states that a technical may be called on either team if that team attempts to allow the game to develop into an actionless contest. This is the rationalle behind the above rules.

Sorry so long but I think this explaines rationalle pretty well. (I'm outta breath...)