View Single Post
Old Tue May 18, 2010, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
This is the problem I see from this case study. I don't have a problem with the T, but you and your partner need to get together (keeping an eye on the players while doing it) and discuss the T. This does several things: 1) informs the partner so he can go talk with the coach and explain the call if needed and if possible; 2) it slows everyone down and gets you thinking exactly what needs to be done, where, and with whom; run off too quickly and you go to the wrong basket, or something similar; 3) it gives everyone the second or two to calm down and get the emotions under control.

But you need to pregame this. I say something like, "we will get together on any T -- NOT TO TRY AND TAKE THE CALL AWAY or even discourage it -- but for the 3 reasons above. I can't emphasize, however, the need to keep an eye on the players.
After I call a T, I will get together with my partner (or one of them if there are two) and inform him which individual was charged with the T. Also, we will discuss if there are any other calls on the play and how the game will resume. Lastly, we will make sure that we know which basket we are going to shoot at.

What we will not discuss is WHY the technical foul was assessed. That is not the partner's business. If the coach or captain wants an explanation, it needs to come from the calling official.