View Single Post
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 09:57am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC Coach View Post
Okay...don't laugh...I'm not familiar with the "point of interruption" (POI) that has been mentioned. Can someone break that down for me?
"Point of interruption" is another way of saying "pick up where we left off." It's a method to resume play after a double foul, inadvertant whistle, or interrupted game (something you already know about). In the simplest terms, the team that was in control of the ball at the time of the whistle, keeps control.

Here's one example from five years ago to describe it, ABC:

After A1 scored a basket, and B2 inbounded the ball to B3, A4 and B4 shoved each other up the court. I called a double foul.

Back then, a double foul resulted in no free throws, and the possession arrow determined who got the ball. On this day, Team A, who just scored, got the ball back, because the arrow said so.

Today, a double foul results in no free throws, and point of interruption. Had this rule been in place back then, Team B would have kept the ball, because they already had it at the whistle. (I think this is one of the best recent rule changes.)

One time that you would still go to the arrow at the point of interruption is when there is no team control during a live ball, such as during a rebound.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by bainsey; Mon May 17, 2010 at 09:59am.