View Single Post
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We've covered this so many times before, Billy, that you obviously know my response. The team committed an infraction. They must justly be penalized for it.

In this particular case, my sentiments match with Snaqs.

However, even if this team member had not scored, he still participated and the scorer is required to keep a record of all team members who start and those who enter the contest as substitutes. That record is the official scorebook. I'm sure that you've seen the boxes to check off when a team member plays in a particular quarter.
Therefore, I disagree with Judtech's position, but I must concede that someone on the NFHS rules committee feels as he does as shown by the recent NFHS interp.
I was actually wondering about the idea of it being related to him scoring. Frankly, even the fact that he made a shot attempt would, to me, require changing the score book. Further, the fact that he got playing time, which is tracked everywhere at the high school level for participation limitation reasons, means his number needs to be accurate and therefore changed in the book.

That was my thought process earlier, but I questioned it so I stopped after noting he had scored.

Nevada, there's an interp that says if he doesn't score, it can be ignored if we didn't catch it in time?

Frankly, if I was the coach, this is exactly the time I'd want this T charged. The other team is getting the ball anyway, so there's no loss of possession.