View Single Post
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

We've covered this so many times before, Billy, that you obviously know my response. The team committed an infraction. They must justly be penalized for it.

In this particular case, my sentiments match with Snaqs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
This one gets penalized for changing the book. IMO, B53 scored points and the book now needs to be changed to reflect his correct number; issue the T.
However, even if this team member had not scored, he still participated and the scorer is required to keep a record of all team members who start and those who enter the contest as substitutes. That record is the official scorebook. I'm sure that you've seen the boxes to check off when a team member plays in a particular quarter.
Therefore, I disagree with Judtech's position, but I must concede that someone on the NFHS rules committee feels as he does as shown by the recent NFHS interp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I helped by pointing out that you may have been thinking the wrong colors?
I would say also that the fact that points were scored by 53 FORCE the book to be changed. IMO, if 53 had not scored or fouled or done anything to cause the scorebook to be changed then he is fine. You would just have to chalk it up to that player/coach/team 'getting away' with one. Unless/until the coach tries to put him back into the game, then you have a technical when he comes onto the court and is a 'legal' player (unless you want to call him an "illegal legal" player or a "legal illegal" player!) It seems akin to a team that sneaks 6 players onto the floor w/out the officials recognizing it, and the extra player hops off the floor before we catch them.