View Single Post
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wrong Number In Book ???

AAU game. Black 53 is fouled in the act of shooting. Five Black substitutes report to the table. Black 53 makes the first free throw. Four Black substitutes are beckoned onto the court, and four Black players leave the court. Black coach indicates that the remaining substitute at the table is for the free throw shooter. Black 53 makes the second free throw. I blow my whistle and beckon in the Black substitute at the table. Black 53 goes out of the game, and is replaced by his substitute. Before my partner hands the ball to White team for the inbound, the table calls me over and the White scorer, the home scorer, the official scorer, informs me that there is no Black 53 in the book. I call over the Black coach, he checks with his assistant coach, who admits that he incorrectly wrote the player's number in the book. White coach wants the technical foul called and the free throws.

Is it too late to penalize? Black 53 is no longer a player. He was legally substituted for. His substitute was legally beckoned onto the court and became a player. Black 53 is now bench personnel. The ball never become live. After the substitution my partner never handed the ball to White to inbound.

My own little administrative technical foul study sheet reads like this:

Penalized when they occur, after ten minute time limit. The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize. A maximum of one technical foul per team regardless of the number of infractions:

A team shall not require the scorer to change a team member, or player, number in the scorebook (with exception), after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. If there is no request for change, or if a team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.

A team shall not require a player to change to a number in the scorebook after the ten minute time limit. Team technical foul. A maximum of one team technical foul is charged regardless of the number of players, and substitutes, not wearing the number indicated in the scorebook. Each player must wear the number indicated in the scorebook, or change the scorebook number to that which the player is wearing. Any additional substitutes who become players and require the changing of the number indicated for them in the scorebook will not result in a penalty as the one maximum technical has already been charged to the team for this administrative infraction. If there is no request for change, or if the team member does not become a player, thus avoiding the change, there is no penalty.

Please help.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon May 17, 2010 at 06:44am.