View Single Post
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I hope he learned something

So yesterday I worked a 14U Rec Championship 2 man, and I was BU. He has about 4 years of umpiring under his belt. We were talking on the way to the field. He said he never has seen me before am I new. I told him I have been doing this awhile. He asked what tournament I have this year. I told him 18G Reg, 18A/USA National and the Champions Cup. He told me when he get to my level he would not do Rec ball. I told him no, don't, because if you are going to see thing that test your rule knowledge you will see them in rec.

Anyways as the first inning roles on I see a few things that I will talk to him after the game, but one thing happened that worth discussing. IF situation. High blooper on F1 (ball ends up landing at the top of the pitching circle). I raise my left hand signaling IF and he shakes is head, as if to wave me off. So I called it. He called time came out and said, "I'm the head umpire and I waived you off"! I said, "No, you are my partner, you are the plate umpire and we both have different but equal responsibilities to call the game". I told him let's play ball we can talk about this after the game.

After the game I had him read 10.3.b and I discuses how as an umpire he should support his partner and as a plate umpire he needs to call the IF when his partner raises his left hand (whether he agrees or not).

I hope he learned something.