View Single Post
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Help with unruly coach - Coach out of dugout

I apologize in advance for the length, but I really need some help here.

I umpire in both Maryland and Texas. (I fly back and forth each week for work). In Maryland we enforce and abide by the rule of the game. The league that I am umpiring in in Texas is far more relaxed.

The rule that is a problem is, the coaches must not be on the field of play. I've heard of a case where a coach, out of the box, was hit by a ball. He suedthe umpires personally. (and everyone else also, but I'm most concerned with being personally sued) The issue was that the rule says, 'must be in box', and the umpire did not enforce the rule.

Here in Texas, they allow the coaches to walk around all around the dugout, and in foul territory. Not the first/third base coach - the dugout coaches. The league has told the coaches that they are allowed to be on the field. I don't allow it. The rule is the rule, and they have not provided me with any rule-override.

The coaches have not been thrilled with this, but have been willing to go along. Tonight's coach was far far less accomodating, raising a stink. I was base, and plate was unsupportive. After the game I called the UIC of the league and he suggested that I relax. Frankly, if the league would just send me an email telling me that the rule is over-ridden, and they ARE permitted, I'd be fine. I could just follow *that* rule.

Lets set aside the whole issue of who is right here. Frankly I don't care. And lets set aside the issue of whether I should have tossed her. Don't care.

The Question is, if, at the coach's meeting, I tell them that they must stay in the dugout, does THAT ALONE let me off the hook? One coach said that it did. "Judge, I told 'em, then they didn't follow the rules." I am not so sure. If the rule says that the catcher must be properly equipped, and I tell them that in the meeting, then I let him play without a helmet, I think I'd be liable.

I really need some help here. Cause if I can just say it in the coach's meeting and be done with it, I will just relax. If not, then I gotta back out of the league.

I love umpiring. Not enough to be sued.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.