Thread: Don't Hit Me!!!
View Single Post
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Lgp

I even doubted myself after I made the call...but like I said...I'm not used to seeing guys backpedal in that situation. One of those strange looking plays that left me scratching my head after the game.

Someone asked how contact was made if B1 was moving straight back. A1 was moving much faster and had taken his jump towards the hoop. B1's backpedalling couldn't counteract A1's drive and jump.

I was just looking through the FIBA rules and found that I did in fact kick this call...I kicked it pretty bad too! FIBA rules say:

When judging a block/charge situation involving a player with the ball, an official shall use the following principles:
• The defensive player must establish an initial legal guarding position by facing the player with the ball and having both feet on the floor.
• The defensive player may remain stationary, jump vertically, move laterally or MOVE BACKWARDS in order to maintain the initial legal guarding position.
• When moving to maintain the initial legal guarding position, one or both feet
may be off the floor for an instant, as long as the movement is lateral or
BACKWARDS, but not towards the player with the ball.
• Contact must occur on the torso, in which case the defensive player would be considered as having been at the place of contact first.

Oh well...next time I see this I'll get it right! Hopefully next time B1 will just stay still and "take it like a man" (haha)!