View Single Post
Old Thu May 13, 2010, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Oh, I have got your can of worms right here:

"Before every meet, I'm conscious of taking off my earrings and necklaces," she said. "But, I just never really thought about the wristband. I've been wearing it nonstop since November."

So with this admission, does she and the school have to forfeit every match she participated in since November? I mean, rules are rules right?
To me the bottom line is what coach Knowles did was laying in wait to ambush the young lady. Not very cricket IMO.
Since I don't know much about Track and Field rules, are there not judges that would notice this and make the coach or player aware?
If I REALLY wanted to try and give this legs as an administrator, I would ask if the Monrovia coach could actually PROVE she wore the bracelet during her jump. Coach Knowles stated that he didn't see it until AFTER the successful completion of the jump. Now if the athlete aborted one attempt before she completed her successful attempt, there was ample opportunity for this aggrieved coach to notice the bracelet. Since he didnt mention anything until AFTER the successful vault, his assertion that the bracelet was worn DURING the jump would be suspect. Unless of course he is lying about not "laying in wait to ambush" the jumper.
From the article, I don't think very much of this Coach Knowles cat.
Well put.

That's one reason why, if the jewelry isn't deemed performance-enhancing material, the athlete should get the pass on it if it's missed beforehand, like it's done for hoops. But I, too, don't know much about track officiating so not sure of all their rationale, or if there could be someone available to say, "Uh, you're not jumping until you take that bracelet off."