View Single Post
Old Wed May 12, 2010, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Experienced ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I've seen that as well! Usually from the older -errr- more experienced officials. I'm guessing that's how it used to be done at one time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
So, I've been told. Heard it hasn't been around for "quite a while." Maybe Sr., Bob, Billy or one of our other more "senior" Forum Members can tell us about how long ago.
Hey! Older? Senior? Please. The correct term is experienced.

I've been doing this for thirty years and I've never heard of a NFHS, or IAABO, mechanic where you point to the bench. However, we do service a deaf high school in our local area. Really good basketball. Since the scorekeeper is usually deaf in these games we start our reporting by pointing to the bench as we verbalize the color.

Now if you want to go back more than thirty years, wait for Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. to come along. He's been officiating since the nineteenth century. To get to his games he used to walk ten miles through snow that was several feet deep. Uphill. Both ways.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 12, 2010 at 05:07pm.