View Single Post
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
I'm no NFHS rules expert (I only get over to the US every 3 or 4 years to do HS ball, we work NCAA in Europe) but I'm with Theisey on this one.

What exactly is extending the period to give them the opportunity to "free kick or snap.....when a fair catch is made"? Don't recall a fair catch being in the list of things that extend the period in Rule 3. If time expired during the play then the game is over.
Sorry. It used to be universal that a choice of a free kick would extend the period, but obviously Fed doesn't have that any more. I wanted a situation in which team A could not possibly benefit by recovery of their own free kick, and team B doesn't want to try to run up the score by running back an errant kick, so neither team would have reason to have any players besides the kicker on the field.

So OK, make it a game extended by penalty with a free kick chosen, and it's the same question. If no players other than the kicker could possibly contribute to the decision of the game, would you still require the full teams to be on the field?