Thread: BU mechanics
View Single Post
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
Can you guys help me understand exactly what you are calling rimming. I originally read about it in a Pony Manual which said to use it on balls hit to the right of F8 and if BR is going to 3B, take her to 2B on the outside and then cut back into the infield to take her to 3B.

However, in a game I recently did as BU, my partner said that if he saw me start on the rim and the runner was going to 3B, that he would come up the line and cover 3B, implying that I couldn't take her all the way to 3B if I started the play on the rim.

Time was getting short in the pregame, so I just went with that.

So do some rim systems teach BU to not take BR beyond 2B?
If I saw you working the rim with with no one on at the time of the pitch and the BR advancing to third on a hit, I would move towards third base but only take the call if you were looking up the poop shoot at third base. I would let you know that I had third in that instance.

As the BU in that situation, after watching the BR touch first base, as soon as I know the BR is committing to third base, I cut into the diamond towards third watching the ball and glance at the runner to see her touch second base. When cutting into the diamond I try developing the best angle and distance based on the throw to third and position of the BR works best for me.