Thread: Loud Slap
View Single Post
Old Tue May 11, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

I think this is an interesting topic that you bring up. I remember when I was a rookie official 6 years ago, well still this day I feel like a rookie compared to most of the individuals I work with based on age an experience. Anyways back to your question. I would have gone with the whole advantage/disadvantage concept here.

Reason behind that is because remember the slap of the wrist could also be like the sound of slapping the ball. Also, if you have a patient whistle you should be able to tell if there was an advantage gained or not. Just remember a key concept and this is something I was taught my first year from a division 1 womens' offiicial whom I have to upmost respect for. Remember the letters RSBQ, Rythym Speed Balance Quickness, if any of those are disrupted then you will have a foul.

A slap on the wrist doesn't neccessarly cause for concern for a foul. If the player can play through it then play on. Coaches might not agree with us, but when do they, on the call, but if you have a chance to explain that his/her player was able to continue play without and problems than I think you would be on the right track.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
JB