View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The definition of a foul includes the idea of contact that puts the opponent at a disadvantage. No disadvantage, no foul.
Our association has clearly stated that advantage/disadvantage is not an acceptable way to call a game, and that all illegal contact should be called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Disagree somewhat. The definition of a foul also includes illegal contact without regard to advantage/disadvantage. That contact might be off-ball and really not put any player at a disadvantage, but if the contact is illegal it should be called.

A prime example might be a rebounder badly displacing an opponent under the board while a shot is in the air. If the shot goes in, that contact obviously had nothing to do with advantage/disadvantage...the contact never does affect anything... but it still has to be called. If it isn't, you're gonna have open warfare out there. Or maybe should you use a "patient whistle" on this one too?

And what kind of disadvantage is there really if an airborne shooter charges into a defender after his shot is released if the ball goes in? After the basket, the ball has to be corralled, taken OOB and thrown in to start play again. I can't see how anyone can say that the charge has hindered the defender from performing any normal defensive movement. You gotta call the obvious charges though. Or do you use of them "patient whistles" on that play also? Or does that "patient whistle" theorem only apply to the defender in a block/charge situation instead of both players.

Instead of trying to solely use advantage/disadvantage, methinks all of the the concepts outlined under both the definition of a "foul" and "incidental contact" need to be used.
The bolded parts are what I'm talking about.

As for the video, I wish I had a better angle, but it looks like PC to me. I don't think you can no-call this and the defender did not initiate the contact.