View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Working with (not against) your partner

Varsity game with two above average teams. In NY, we use ASA rules.

Partner is PU. He's consistently ranked in the top 5 in our county at the varsity level.

Bottom 4, no score. R1 on first. First pitch to B3, DC argues R1 is leaving base early (she's not, she's rocking to get her motion, merely taking a LEAD). "Blue, you gotta call that...looked like she left a little early." I ignore the coach, as there is nothing to call.

Next pitch, B3 squares to bunt. The pitch is high and inside and hits her square on the hand. She didn't offer at the pitch, but didn't pull her bat back. PU yells dead ball, motions to first. DC argues that it should be a strike because she didn't pull the bat back. PU says "No, coach she pulled the bat back (which she didn't, but she didn't make an attempt at the pitch, either.) DC asks for appeal. My partner calls me in and asks me what I saw, so I told him I didn't see her "offer" at the pitch.

Partner turns to DC and says "my partner says she pulled the bat back coach." (I didn't say that!) I then explain to the coach what I DID say. Coach mumbles and walks away.

Two innings later, home team winning 2-0. Top 6th. R1 on first, B4 at bat. 2 out. First pitch, high and outside, partner loudly (as is his style) calls, "STRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII KE, on the swing!!!"

OC (at 3rd): "Are you saying strike? Was that on the pitch or the swing??!!"
PU: "on the swing coach, she went."
OC: (at 3rd): "No way.."
OC (at 1st): "can you ask for help on that???"
PU: "Sure.....(points to me in the B position) what do you got?"

*****worth note here, is that I didn't think she went*****

A look of dismay and "are you kidding me right now" came over my face as he pointed to me. I thought for a second, then realized that he is my only teammate and I wouldn't want him to look bad, especially AFTER he called her for swinging TWICE.
So......I gave the hammer, sticking by my partner.

OC at first says, "what are we asking him for, he hasn't been paying attention all game."

That coach paid attention the rest of the game on the bus. I assured him I'd pay attention to him leaving the field. And I did.

My WTF moment comes from my partner.....I felt as if I was left out to dry - two times, by early calls that should have either:
A: come to me immediately OR
B: Not come to me at all

Anyone care to help me out as far as what I did wrong here, or what I could have done differently? How would you have handled it? Is this a pregame partner discussion that I should have had with him? What about how I handled the coach. Was I right in tossing? I felt he crossed the line questioning my integrity.

Advise me please.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Mon May 10, 2010 at 06:17pm.