View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

When making calls we make three kind:

1. Important calls...
2. Exciting calls...
3. And...Protocols!

Obviously they each have their place. When the situation is tense, such as runners in scoring position, long battle at the plate, or to end a game I reach back and grab a little more intensity and a bit more volume. That's a 2.

When it's a banger, or fair/foul, or timing play..yep...#1. Lots of volume. This also applies to any call that must be 'sold' because of how close it is.

"Protocols" are those routine jobs - strike three with nobody on base is an example. I use a tone-down style of my exciting call. It still looks sharp but contributes minimally to the batter being embarrassed. I use the same on the bases when the runner is out routinely or by a few steps...if nobody is on I might not even verbalize it. # 3.

Your calls are yours. Style is yours. Some advice about mechanics is good, some is...well...something else. ALL of it is good for listening to. By doing so you will find what works for you. Nothing is absolute...but each style has its advantages and disadvantages:

example:

Pointing out to the side looks sharp and clear...but you take your eyes off the field. Even with a partner this could have disastrous consequences.

The hammer keeps your eyes on the field...but increases your chances of interfering with the catcher.