View Single Post
Old Mon May 10, 2010, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

The 28-year-old Bryan is trying to follow in the footsteps of a handful of other Australians to punt in the NFL. To win a spot on a 53-man roster, he will have to withstand the scrutiny of probably the only fans in the NFL who care as much about hang time as they do overtime."I was actually a professional for five years, so that sort of helps," Bryan said of his time with popular Australian Football League clubs Carlton and Collingwood. "I've been around a professional organization for five years. That was my life."There's still scrutiny and you have to perform. If you don't perform, you don't play. There's a lot of pressure to make sure you're the best you are."Ever since Craig Hentrich left in 1999, every punter to step onto Lambeau Field has felt pressure. And often it's at its worst during the intrasquad scrimmage, when many fans are getting their first look at the punting candidates.The left-footed Bryan was punting in front of a crowd Friday afternoon at the Don Hutson Center, only it was a bunch of rookies who were taking part in a three-day orientation camp. It was a far cry from the crowds of 70,000 that watched him as an Australian pro, but the session provided another chance to work out with first-year punter Tim Masthay, his main competition.