View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2000, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

VU, very valid points. And you are lucky. Here in Ca., our over 30 leagues can get pretty bad. MSBL is the worst, thus I have a very high ejection ratio, most all have been a loudmouth who chirps all the time over something he has no clue about, or is trying to BS a rookie ump while I am his partner. One thing about MSBL is that we all gotta go to work on Monday, have some fun. But that does not happen here, the guys try to take cheap ass shots at each other all the time. I could not believe the language, very poor taste in that wifes and lotsa kids come to watch "DAD" in his moment of glory.
Now at our FED level, virtually no mouths from the players, 4 seasons(100 games, I'd say)and only 1 player ejection, for mouth on a call I know I nailed. I do not let kids tell me "that's bull****". Now the coaches are not too bad here, they'll chirp, but know where to draw the line.
Our youth leagues are generally chirped upon by the crowd, they know all, right? I try to interact with the local youths, as I have a couple of my own and take an interest in the community. I am one of a handfull of umps for 7 PONY leagues that are first-name basis with the kids. I don't get any flak from the kids, occasional coach, but for the most part, nothing. It is a blast watching them progress up through FED-ball.
The dusting of the plate and "chatting" with F2 works, used it once, oopps, twice. First time was a freshman catcher who I first met at the 9 year old level.He bailed on a curve that was gonna hit the dish, it did and I had hung in, right in the cup.
Second time I used the "chat", I totally bone the pitch. 3-2 count, #9 hitter(SBR game, area FED all-stars)F1 deals a great curve, BR looks at it and just starts to say "oh dam" as I am giving him first. Totally screwed the pitch, shoulda rung him. F2 walks to mound, comes back and sez" I really need that pitch, blue." I told him I boned him, no make up calls here pal, sorry. A few pitches later, he pulls an outside breaker back in, very obvious ball, and hold it on the corner, knee high.
If I did not bone him on the prior pitch, see ya. But a "don't even do that again" worked wonders. Although my actual verbage was a bit more extreme)

QUOTE]Originally posted by Virginia Umpire
Okay. So you like to eject early for such things as drawing lines. I defend your right to do that. I also feel that it is better than sending a message instead that could be interpreted as bad umpiring or petty. But here is another way to look at this. This is philosophy that works well for me and many others that work it:

The first offense of anything you consider unacceptable in a baseball game should be dealt with. How? That depends on how serious.

The second offense is also dealt with IMMEDIATLY! How? That depends on two things. 1) How serious was it? 2) How was he warned after the the first offense?

The third offense (if there is one) is always serious. If the offender has hung around long enough to screw up a third time he will be immediatly and publicly nuked!

Concerning seriousness, I am a strong believer in having a order of escalating responses to fit the level of the offense. Examples here are fighting, a physical deliberate attack on an opposing player (such as a batter/runner attempting to spike the first baseman), a verbal personal direct insult to the umpire, bumping or pushing anyone, and overt threat to fight with threatning body language are all things that would cause an immediate ejection.

The trouble here is I want to show a different response for a different level of behavior. If I eject everyone the first time they do anything then I have established a dictatorship that doesn't match our society or their expectations.

Minor offenses that I will notice and warn the coach or player about will include minor chipping or chirping about calls, minor chirping or taunting of an opponent, minor using of profanity that is able to be heard by spectators, minor physical displays such as throwing a bat, minor gestures by players or coaches designed to demonstrate disagreement with a call.

Medium level offenses will get a swift and public and humiliating response from me every time. They would include overt but unsuccessful attempts to injure, a loud and inciteful arguement from a coach, harsh use of profanity, a pitcher or a catcher verbally or by action disputing a ball call, a coach that feels the need to "protect" a player by defending a very susportsmanlike act, angry or reckless throwing equipment, and any coach or player that counts your misses such as saying, "that is two you have missed!"

Please understand that these examples are nowhere near all the things that I would notice or penalize in a baseball game. Ther are a few thing that I would actually call the police to handle that I didn't even touch on. I believe this is simple and direct and allows the punishmet to fit the crime.

I hear so many argue that certain things are more or less appropriate in men's leagues than youth leagues. Well, my umpiring covers NCAA, Mens, High School, teenagers and even 12 year olds. While the great majority is with the upper levels, I see few significant differences in how they shoud be treated. In fact men's leagues are the easiest to deal with because they are usually out to enjoy themselves, they are generally less consumed with winning, and the good guys on a team will have little sympathy for the one jerk that is making the day unpleasant for players as well as umpires.

Again my ideas are not rules. They simply work for me.
[/QUOTE]