View Single Post
Old Sat May 08, 2010, 03:19pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not a fan of going to coaches and telling them things they can see. If I am talking to one of their players they should have some idea that their kid is under some kind of notice.
I certainly agree, but that's assuming the coach sees us talking to the kid. His attention could very well be elsewhere.

I had a coach suggest jeffpea's approach to me one time, after a freshmen boys game where I had three plane violations (two on one team, one on the other). I was a bit amazed that he even made an issue of that (these were high school players, after all), since there are middle schoolers out there that know not to break the plane! Still, I listened to his feedback, and kept it in the back of my mind. That coach still hired me for another freshman scrimmage, anyway.

I used the "Coach, can you help me out?" approach once after that, but it was regarding an assistant coach issue, not a player. That assistant -- who seemed a bit more domineering than the head -- insisted on standing a few times to give instructions. I don't recall seeing him on his feet after I spoke with the head.