View Single Post
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Open to suggestions

I'm an umpire with 5 years of experience, mostly sub varsity, i.e., 13-14 y/o, with partners who also work mainly at that level. I have gotten about 10-15 varsity games per year, most being low to mid level games, and not often with the top umpires in our association as partners. I've worked hard at learning how to umpire and for the most part, I do well in these games.

However, every so often I get to work a game with a top level partner, and of course I want to do well those games. On a couple of these occasions, I've had some of my worst games. I've missed calls, rushed calls and generally messed up things that I normally handle with no problem.

I suspect it has to do with nervousness. Though I don't feel "nerves" my performance tells me otherwise. It reminds me of a time years ago when I had to take my daughter to the hospital for an emergency and drove right past it (though I didn't feel nervous at all that night). My partner (hi Mike if you're reading this) tonight gave me some good suggestions, e.g., "slow down." I'd appreciate any other thoughts on how handle the nerves and do what I'm capable of doing on the field.