View Single Post
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the encouragement

According to all the posts I've read, I called the play correctly. The guy gathered the ball with his right foot down. He then stepped onto his left foot which would normally have been his plant for a jump towards the hoop. Then while the defensive player came flying by, the shooter pulled his right foot up to meet his left and just stood there while the defender passed.

Someone asked how I handled the guy...well, this guy was a jerk from the start. I had warned him early in the game to stop complaining. About 10 minutes after that, he flipped out over some call that didn't go his team's way and was in my face about it. I gave him a tech for that one. This whole traveling business happened about 2 quarters later...towards the end of the game. He was flaring his arms and shouting at me loud enough for the entire gym to clearly hear his nonsense. I couldn't let it slide, so I teched him again and that was it.

Gentlemen, bear in mind that for the past 15 years, this league has NEVER had a certified ref...for that matter I don't know if there's ever been an officially trained ref watching over these games. The players are used to complaining over the calls for 2 or 3 minutes every time they don't like what was called. It will take some time to undo that mentality.

Thanks for all the advice.