View Single Post
Old Sun May 02, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
i had this come up in a game, both coaches and my partner all happened to be in the meeting, the coach who had his 9th player leave early informed us both of it and I basically told him about the auto-out rule and he accepted it. I told the other coach that it would be her responsibility to appeal the auto-out whenever it came up, otherwise, if she misses it, we'd just play on normally. Both coaches agreed to do it that way and we had no further problems the rest of the game.

in some other rec games, i've actually had coaches on the side not short a player decline the automatic out and some have even gone as far as loaning a bench player to the other side so they wouldn't be short in the field.
Not a shot in hell I would permit this and it isn't because I'm as anal as I am.

The reasons I would not permit it are 1) it is the rule that is already permitting them to play instead of forfeiting the game (which a lot of people have either forgotten or never knew the rule); 2) it is quite specific in it's application; 3) once it is done in any league, rec or not, every umpire is going to be expected to fall in line and permit it; 4) but most of all, it is protestable no matter who agreed on anything. If the league wants this situation to occur, they can amend their rules to stipulate such an allowance. Barring that, I'm sticking with the rules of the game.