View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2010, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
A patient whistle usually means that you're deciding whether the contact actually was a foul or whether it was incidental contact.
Exactly, having a patient whistle allows me to see the play through to the finish vs. popping on initial contact while the play is still developing. For me, its just enough time to actualy rewind the play & see it again before putting air in it. I hear thats the best way to help decrease your INC/ICC %.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And no matter how long you delay the whistle, if it is a foul you're still going to have to make the exact same decision as to whether the foul was in the act-of-shooting or not.
I believe the purpose & timing of the patient whistle eliminates the "or not." How & what we do at the spot of the foul & at the table sells the decision we just made to the players/coaches/fans. We get the most pushback after a call has been made because the clocks not running. No calls are easier, we keep it moving Having great court presence assists in mangaing the emotions of the game, no?

Well, thats what I see the big dogs doing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed that it's not well applied; I've seen the shot waved off too many times, and that's exactly why coaches question it when we count a basket and/or award free throws when the foul occurs early in the shooting motion.
Okay so its not just me It really makes for an inconsistent called game, unfortunately.