Thread: JV game story
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

JV game story

Last night I had a JV game. Wasn't expecting a good game as far as quality of play and I got just what I expected. At the start of the game home team had several players on the field that couldn't make routine plays. They are down 10-0 after 3 innings due in large part to poor defense. They make their substitutions, and now they have girls on the field that can catch and throw decently. They only give up one run the rest of the game. Problem is they just can't hit.

It's 11-0 going into the B6th and visitor brings a new pitcher into the game. We are about 4 minutes till 1:45 (no new) when B6th begins. After many walks and wild pitches, and a pitching change to another ineffective pitcher, the score is 11-9 and the bases are loaded and visitor can't get the last out. The whole fan section for both sides was buzzing on every pitch. I had several close plays at the plate on the wild pitches with the pitcher coming in to cover.

The catcher injures herself crashing into the fence chasing down a wild pitch and I look at my watch and it's past drop dead time (2 hr).

I tell the coaches "game over."

I know most umpires just want to get off the field after 2 hours but I would have loved to see this game have a true ending. I felt like I had an "investment" in the game having worked so hard and was sorry it had to end that way.