View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jkumpire;674078]
Quote:
Was doing a college game recently.

Had a play at 3B on a sacrifice attempt, called the runner safe since he beat a bad throw and bad tag. Not a hard call.

Manager of the defense comes out and has quiet chat with me about "how the ball got there first" (not hardly), "how did I miss the tag" (tagged him on the upper thigh when his foot is on the bag, sir). then, the old canard, "your partner at home had a better angle, ask him" (no sir, that's my call all the way, I had the angle and he's safe). He says "you missed it" and heads to the dugout.

Next inning, after his team ties it up, lead off man for the home side doubles. Next batter flies to LF, where I line it up, see R2 start off the bag, then returns, and tags. Visitors appeal, it's denied, and here comes the manager again.

"He left too soon. didn't you see that?", in a calm voice.

"No sir, I had it lined up perfectly, he didn't leave too soon." Pot inside is starting to boil.

"He didn't put his foot on the bag."

"YES HE DID (name), and I am tired of you coming out on every play you don't like." (Sentence spoken in strong voice, not anywhere close to a yell.

Of course he starts pacing and complains about my yelling first, and I apologize for yelling. Then he leaves after another point about my yelling.
As others said this coach was trying to "play you" He didn't do anything to get dumped BUT succeeded in his 'ajenda"

Your OP happens in HS varsity baseball as well ESPECIALLY if it's your first year after getting promoted.

The coaches will "test" you.

As you say the calls you made were "no brainers" and the coach KNEW it.

In all liklihood he wanted to see "how far" he could go and ALSO try and get a call "his way" in the future.

In happens in basketball / football many times.

It's akin to when we played. If we allowed a player to "get under our skin" he had us.

Hey your OP is familiar and we get those days where we simply do not want to hear it BUT we are officials and have to do our best to over-come these things.

Pete Booth