View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 28, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
What I do in situations like this is dump the coach the first time he questions me. That way he will know that I am not taking any of his crap in the future. This works for me.
This may work for you. I don't think I agree that it is the correct thing to do. Questioning close plays are part of the game.

I let them ask. I explain what I had. Then I let them reply. If they disagree with me I say just that. "agree to disagree". If they ask another question I listen. If it's a sensible question I answer that. If it's the same question worded differently I tell them I've already answered that and it's time to move on. Chances are they are not getting a third question. If the persist I warn them that we are done. If they continue...they get the heave-ho.

But honestly...that RARELY happens. In most cases the coach disagrees and starts putting on a show and sputtering insults. In those situations they get tossed right after the insult or whatever it is that is out of line.

Had my first of the year last week. Had the conversation as described above until he shouted "this game is no longer about the players, it's about YOU!". One step over the line sweet Jesus.

But the UmpJM's point - some coaches will test you when they see you for the first time. Handle them professionally and without emotion and you should come out of it feeling pretty good about the end result...whatever it is. And you will be respected for it too.