View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
That is why a team has a coach, to diplomatically question calls.
Excuse me? The purpose of having a coach is so somebody on the bench can question calls?!?! That's a load of manure. The reason a team has a coach is to coach his/her players, PERIOD. I am almost always willing to listen to a coach who asks for an explanation. I am almost never willing to listen to a coach who is questioning my call.

This is like saying that the fans pay their money, so they should be able to ride the officials and have their say.

Chuck
I have no problem w/ a coach who calmly at the correct point in time calmly discusses what I called. This is called building a rappor w/ coaches and becoming a good official. I will not let them use this time to "work" me. If they remain calm I have no problem answering them. This is not to say that I will listen or even acknowledge them at every whim, but if they have a legitamite question I will answer it. This is what I meant by this post. Or I suppose I could be like some officials and percieve every opinion they vioce as being out of control and Whack them for breathing heavy. Every good official I have watched on TV seems to have a few seconds for a coach that comes to them in a (sometimes not so calm) manner and the official is usually effective in diffusing a heated situation. I would rather have coaches know I am willing to listen and work with them instead of seeming standoffish and on a pedistal above them.

Just my two cents.