Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire View Post
This is the URL for the FED rules survey:

2010 NFHS BASEBALL RULES QUESTIONNAIRE Survey

Or:

NFHS | NFHS 2010 Spring Sport Questionnaires

Along with all the other things in the survey, there are two questions of interest for this thread:

Part III- Would you be in favor of:

2. Mandating wood bats only for high school competition.
3. Mandating dual-flap batting helmets that meet the NOCSAE standard on all pitchers.

I am for wood bats, and against helmets, but with the way things are going in this country and it's drive for a no-risk world, it would not surprise me if the lawyers decided NFHS should mandate helmets with face masks for pitchers in the near future.

And if the chair of the FED rules committee is correct, as he stated in a recent post that "While high school baseball is one of the most safe team sports there is in high school, 80+% of what injuries they have are to the lower extremities (legs, knees, ankles) and 80+% of those injuries occur during sliding..." we will see some rule changes about that too.

BTW, one other part of the FED survey:

Would you be in favor of:

1. Eliminating the allowance of head first sliding.

ESPN running that play 400 times since it happened last weekend is not a good thing for the game...
No, some of the most beautiful plays involve a head first slide, and also you get some of those at first base that are very effective.

I do like the idea of wood bats, its getting really dangerous for pitchers.

But, cost effective? Don't know if the schools will go for it.

Thanks
David