View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 22, 2010, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Please Help with DH Rule

I have run into this situation several times and I know the rule, but I get many different interpretations from different umpires. It involves the DH (FED). I know that the DH and the person who he is batting for are both starters and have re-enter privileges. Here are a couple of situatuons I have had.

Situation #1
#2 Mais is the DH and he is batting for #16 Clevenger who is playing second base. Mais reaches base in the 4th inning. Clevenger enters to pinch run for Mais. I understand that at this point Mais' role as the DH is terminated. Some coaches (and even some umpires) tell me that Mais is finished for the game. I disagree because he is a starter and can re-enter. After the half inning is complete, Clevenger goes back into the field as the second baseman. When the spot comes back up in the order in the 6th inning, Mais re-enters as a pinch-hitter for Clevenger. This is Clevenger's first time out of the game. This is Mais' one re-entry for the game. After the half inning is over, Clevenger re-enters for Mais and plays second base. At this point Mais is finished for the game.

Situation #2
#2 Mais is the DH for #16 Clevenger who is playing second base. Mais reaches base in the 4th inning and #12 Smith pinch runs for Mais. After the half inning is over, Clevenger stays in the game at second base. In the 6th inning when the spot comes back up, Mais bats as a pinch-hitter. The opposing coach does not want Mais to be allowed back into the game. When he is told that this is legal, he then wants Clevenger removed from the game. At this point, I think the umpire understands until he tells the coach that since Mais had left for a pinch-runner he can re-enter. He goes on to say that if he had been removed for a pinch-hitter, he would not be allowed to re-enter.

I do understand that the DH and the person he is hitting for cannot be in the field at the same time.

Any help with how to deal with this when opposing coaches and sometimes even umpires don't understand the rule would be greatly appreciated.