View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 19, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
When I first read the OP, I would have gone with "spectator interference." That way I'm forced to kill the play, and it allows me to nullify the interference in whatever way I see fit. In the end though, we have the same thing: runner on second.
That could work, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
I hope the OP has been resolved and I'm not hijacking this thread.

I had a similar play. U14 select ball. No one on (partner in A). B hits grounder to F4. I'm starting to follow B up the line when a ball from an adjacent field comes into the infield. There are now two ground balls (other ball bounces towards F6), but everyone knows which one is ours. F4 fields the ball cleanly and I am shouting to everyone "PLAY ON". But instead of F4 getting the easy out, he starts watching the other ball and doesn't make a throw. I asked partner if he called time. No he didn't. I let the play stand. B on 1B.

Should I have killed the play? If so, by what rule/authority?
It's not covered by any specific rule. The rules are written for MLB -- the rest of us just borrow them. When was the last time a ball from one park entered play at another in MLB?

So, it's all 9.01(c) (and the equivalent in other codes). Heck, I could even envision a "do-over" under the right circumstances.