View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 18, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by artar View Post
Yes, I had that figured out about sticking with middle school games for now and no two different games at multiple locations in one day.
Did the coach show any concern for the umpire who was struck in the head? If you were the worst umpire in my league, I still wouldn't accept the coach's version in your story. Perhaps he is just the worst coach in the league. You may as well quit now if that is how you feel about yourself. You will never be able to pay for the investment in equipment at that level of ball. I would hate for you to walk away from the game so soon. Advancement is all about sticking it out through a coaching "rain or snow" storm. Hell, I'd have my *** chewed during a game only to have the coach tell me he was showing off for the crowd, or to fire his team up or that I missed a judgement call.

Don't worry so much about that rule about that thrown bat {an ejection versus an out}. I would have asked the coach for an explanation of why I missed it. After he tells me it is an ejection, not an out, I'm going to eject the player and the coach and take the out off the board. That should really fire the guy up.

The bad news is that there are alot more "gray" areas within the rules to discover and I am afraid you'll give up after missing one or two. There ain't no better teacher than experience. I come here for that so I don't show my inexperience on the ball field. The good thing is that most of the stuff I see here never happens there.

Buy the book, Baseball Rule Differences by Carl Childress. Its a nightmare to read, but it is thoroughly enjoyable baseball reading material. Get a rule book every year and write all over it. Get a new one the next year and do the same. Never toss them out. Throw em into an old box. After about ten years, you'll open one up and discover you haven't thought about a particular aspect of the rule for a couple of years and may have forgotten how to deal with a situation. It take a step to ... complete a journey. Get back up, and ... don't quit so easy. If a few arguments rile your nerves and you can't seem to shake 'em, ... find another field to play in.

Last edited by SAump; Sun Apr 18, 2010 at 03:34pm.